Friday, November 18, 2011

Old Blue Chair

There's a blue [rocking] chair sitting in the sand...

Ok, so this isn't a rocking chair and it's not sitting in the sand. I stole those lyrics from Kenney Chesney. My lyrics would go something like this There's a blue chair with pretty legs! I really do love the legs on this chair. They are so unique. Here's a close up.


Aren't the front legs just gorgeous? I wish I had a real before picture. Before I had started to work on it at all that is. I hadn't decided to start a blog yet so I didn't get a "real" before picture, complete with ugly fabric and chipped paint. I paid $20 for this baby at a yard sale. A little more than I would have liked but the guy wouldn't budge. (He could probably tell how much I liked it.) This really is an old chair. I didn't just steal those lyrics for fun. The cushion was stuffed with horse hair. Here's the before picture that I do have.



Since the original cushion was stuffed with horse hair I cut a piece of thick foam to fit the seat and wrapped it in cotton batting and then muslin--should I ever decide to change the fabric the muslin will make this easier--then stapled my chosen fabric to the wooden seat frame. Then it was just a matter of spray painting the chair itself. Of course the cushion wasn't on the chair during the painting! There were quite a few colors I could have chosen to go with the fabric. I almost went with red, but decided that there's just something about a blue chair. I chose Valspar Tropical Oasis, a bright, cheery blue.



I had intentions of placing this chair in the foyer by my antique buffet to bring some color to the space. Alas, I didn't realize just how tall the buffet was until I put the chair next to it. It looked like a miniature doll chair sitting there! I'll have to find the chair another home and find another (taller) chair for the foyer. I'm thinking a slim wing back chair in a large graphic print, but finding a slim wing back at the thrift stores might be a tall order. I'll keep you posted.

I'm partying here:
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Freshman Friday at Home Savvy A to Z
Latest & Greatest Friday at Days of Chalk and Chocolate
Nifty Thrifty Sunday at Nifty Thrifty Things
Debbie Doo's Newbie Party
Savvy Homemade Monday at Home Savvy A to Z
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking
Piece of Work Wednesday at Primitive and Proper
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here

3 comments:

  1. oooh, that color is awesome! I love how it really transforms that tired chair into something fantastic! Would you link it up to my party?

    http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2011/11/latest-and-greatest-friday-6-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a beautiful chair. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete