Friday, October 21, 2016

Canning Chili Sauce

As I mentioned, one thing I did plenty of this summer was can. You've already seen the results of some of my canning - green beans and blue Hubbard squash. Today I bring you chili sauce.

Another thing our neighbor had an abundance of was tomatoes. Normally, I myself plant about 20 tomato plants in my garden but with getting married and moving, I knew I wouldn't have time this summer. Luckily, our neighbor planted enough for his family and ours.

My DH and I really like chili in the winter so when I saw a recipe for chili sauce in the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving I knew I had to make some.

Chili Sauce
from Ball's Blue Book Guide to Preserving
Yield : About 6 pints

4 quarts chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 medium)
1 hot red pepper, finely chopped
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons Ball salt
3 tablespoons Ball Mixed Pickling Spice
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 1/2 cups vinegar

Combine tomatoes, onions, peppers, sugar and salt in a large saucepot. Simmer 45 minutes. Tie whole spices in a spice bag. Add spice bag to tomato mixture. Simmer until reduced one-half. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Add vinegar and simmer to desired thickness. Remove spice bag. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust two piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

I advise any one wanting to can to familiarize themselves with the basics of canning including proper jar sterilization, proper tools, different processing methods, etc. The Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving is a great beginners resource. You can find these at several retailers and online.


I haven't tried any of this yet so I can't attest to its edibleness but we have high hopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment