Friday, December 28, 2012

A Map of the World

Finally I have finished the project I previewed some time ago. I know you all thought I had disappeared. Here I bring you my Map of the World Chest!

This is a piece I bought at Goodwill for $20. It was in rough shape when I bought it but I just fell in love with its size. It was nice and petit. Definitely an older piece. (It also smelled like an older piece!) I had to drag it outside for many days to let it air out in the sun. Finally once it lost the musky smell I started working on it. First thing I did was fill in the missing veneer pieces with wood putty. One drawer had 4 pulls while the others only had two so I went ahead and filled those in with wood putty while I was at it. Then I got out the sander and went to work.






It was around this time that I decided that I wanted to turn this piece into a Christmas present for a special someone. I needed it to be manly, something a guy would be proud to display. I brainstormed ideas for quite a while and finally decided to decoupage a world map on the drawer fronts. I had no Mod Podge experience so I had to take yet another break and practice on some coasters.

Lining up the maps and trimming around the drawers was a tedious project. Actually the process of applying the Mod Podge was tedious.


I added a non-slip product to the paint to give it texture. It is made by Rustoleum, it is a very fine, sand like substance, giving the paint a subtle texture. I will admit, adding this product made the piece harder to glaze. The glaze didn't want to come out off all the little microscopic grooves. It is worth it though for the texture. Before I glazed the paint sort of looked like chocolate milk but the glaze gave it that little extra something.

Without further ado here is the final product. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Oh, and the recipient loved his Christmas present!








I'm partying here:
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Fridays at Redoux
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking
Winter Blues Wednesday Party at DIY By Design
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
If It's Not Baroque Tuesday Link Party
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage

22 comments:

  1. This dresser is awesome! I love how it came out! The map looks beautiful and the paint finish is superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, it looks so beautiful:-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really cool piece! I love the map and the colors of the dresser. Thank you so much for sharing. -K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!
    Totally love it!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. great ideas! looks amazing! you have inspired me....
    :)
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dresser it looks awesome. I'm a new follower coming from sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your effort and love the look, I want to do a map on something and the piece I had good have been,but she told me something else...you have 10 likes on MMS congrats....and I am going to comeback once my darn problem gets fixed with my blog...not allowing me to join due to a (*)(&^*& what ever love what yo do

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually go in for decoupaged furniture, but your map dresser is simply beautiful.I think it is the muted colors of the map that makes it work so well. Great job! -- Min

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Min! I chose this map intentionally for its sepia colors because I didn't like the really bright ones either!

      Delete
  9. Love it..Where did you find the map?
    Denise
    PS: I'm pinning it to my Awesome Furniture Board. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! I got the map from Amazon.

      Delete
  10. Saw your project at Domestically Speaking. I like the way it turned out ... very manly. ;) I've decoupaged a tray with a map, and have thought about decoupaging something to drawer fronts, but haven't tried it yet. Just waiting on the right piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, really want to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore maps & you did a great job with this dresser. I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this week. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maryann! Love joining your party!

      Delete
  13. I love the maps on the drawer fronts. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is SOOOO stinking good! i LOVe maps in decor, and this way you used one is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopping in to pin your dresser redo, I love it!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete