Friday, August 10, 2012

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Fail

Today I was hoping to reveal the antique dresser I have been working on. Sadly, instead I bring you an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) FAIL!! It could be that I am the only person in the world who didn't know this about ASCP, but just in case there is someone else out there who is late to board the ASCP train, now you will know too.

What is "this" you ask? To start at the beginning I had just finished painting the antique dresser in ASCP Old White. So far I had been very pleased with the ASCP. I knew the piece was going to look great once I got it glazed, especially the mirror on top with all of its detailing. So the mirror is where I decided to start the glazing. I brushed the glaze on and when I went to wipe it off... HORROR. It wouldn't come off! My Old White was now a yucky gray thanks to absorbing some of the black glaze!! So I did what anyone would do and I rubbed harder. It still wouldn't come off! I threw the rag down in frustration and picked up the phone to vent to my mom. "Did you put on the clear wax first?" she asked. I told her I wasn't aware that I needed to put a coat of clear wax first. Apparently I missed that memo.

So dear readers if you didn't know you needed to put a coat of clear wax on first you can now avoid my mistake, and if you did know, feel free to laugh with me (at me?) at my ASCP fail. As for me, I'm hoping the fix will merely involve putting another coat of ASCP Old White on the mirror, putting clear wax on, THEN glazing!




No comments:

Post a Comment