My newest project involved taking a pair of curtains and a roman shade, both given to me by my grandma (if you're sensing that I get a lot of things from my grandma then you would be correct). She picked up the roman shade at a yard sale for $3. I'm not sure what she paid for the curtains but I know she purchased them at our local Goodwill.
Here is a picture of the curtains. I had them hanging in my room (and by hanging I mean I took t-pins and attached it to the window frame) for the longest time as I frankly just didn't like these curtains. Curtains make a room look so much more finished and normally I really like the look of them but for some reason these just weren't appealing to me. Maybe the fabric was just too heavy for the room or the stripes were running the wrong way. Regardless, here they are.
Not being pleased with the curtains I started thinking about my options. I thought I might try a roman shade as none of my other rooms have them (yet). Have you priced those things recently?! So, I asked my grandma to be on the lookout for a roman shade for me (again, you are probably sensing a theme) on the cheap. She found one in the right size at a yard sale. The only problem with it was that it had no color. Well, it did have a color, but I call it Boring Khaki. Neutral, but I needed a pop of color. Here it is.
So I brainstormed for a while and finally asked my Mom her opinion on taking the curtain (whose color actually did go quite well in the room) and attaching it to the roman shade, but instead of the stripes running horizontally, we run them vertically as they would have been had I been the curtain designer. A little snipping and liquid stich later we had the final product!