Friday, March 30, 2012

Liquid Leaf(ing)

I was thumbing through a recent issue of Martha Stewart Living when I saw the cutest little leaf dish. It is available for purchase at Macy's for the not-so budget friendly price of $48. Here is my inspiration.


You know when you see something and a little light bulb just goes off in your head? I had one of those moments when I saw this. I have had a clear leaf dish sitting on my end table for quite some time. I actually tried to sell it in a yard sale last year but no one bought it so back to the end table it went. I've had this little dish for so long that I can't even tell you how much I paid for it. I do know it came from Goodwill (like pretty much everything else in my house). Here she is in her sad, boring before state.



I decided to try brushing on some Liquid Leaf to see if I could replicate the Martha Stewart leaf. I didn't even know if you could put Liquid Leaf on glass but figured I didn't have anything to lose. I tried to get rid of the thing for goodness sakes!.The Liquid Leaf came from Hobby Lobby and it was right under $6. Disclosure: it doesn't smell the best and it's a pretty powerful smell so use in a well ventilated area. Also, to clean your brush you are supposed to use a product called xylene. Seeing as how I didn't have any xylene and a bottle of it was around $18, I decided to just buy a $1 paint brush and throw it away afterwards!


The liquid leaf was SUPER easy to use. I just brushed it on and waited for it to dry. And best part of all? I LOVE the results. New life has been breathed into my little leaf dish and now it will proudly return to its spot on my end table. I only painted the bottom of the dish as that's where all of the details were. I took a q-tip and painted the lip on the dish. Take that Martha!!

The underside



The top side



And a  few closeups so you can see just how beautiful my little leaf is now!






Isn't she beautiful now?

2 comments:

  1. I love this! And the timing of your post is perfect for thoughts I was having today ... I need, OK, want to add a gold accent to my front room sitting / reading area and I too have a leaf bowl, although I mine is quite large. Anyway, I like your idea of painting just the underside and certainly will consider this. Have great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely adds some interest to it, only leafing it on the bottom. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to do it!

      Delete