Friday, October 26, 2012

Mod Podged Tile Coasters

This project is all over the web right now, but I decided to join in since needed some practice using Mod Podge. I have a big project coming up that I need to use Mod Podge on and the one time I tried it before was a disaster--bubbles, wrinkles, you name it. This time I made sure to do my research before I started!

This first thing you'll need to do is gather your supplies.


You'll need four 4-inch tiles; a map (or whatever you're going to Mod Podge on to your tile); Mod Podge; a paintbrush; an xacto knife; and some sort of instrument to help you get the bubbles out. I used a pastry roller -- which worked very nicely -- but I'm sure a rolling pin or your fingers would work as well. You'll also need a pencil, scissors, and some ribbon, which I neglected to gather for the picture.

Place your tile on the selected area of your map and trace around the edges of your tile with a pencil. Next cut out the area with scissors.


After you've cut out the map section brush a thin layer of Mod Podge on the front of your tile.


Next brush a thin layer of Mod Podge on the BACK of your cut out. This is critical and this is where I messed up last time. Don't forget this step!!


Gently place the map (backside down of course) on the top of your tile.


First press the map lightly with your fingertips and then roll over with the pastry roller to get out any air bubbles that might have developed. You'll probably notice some excess glue has squeezed out on the sides so just take a paper towel and gently wipe it off.


Now leave your tile to dry. I left mine overnight but an hour or two would probably suffice. Make sure your tile is dry and then take an xacto knife and trim the edges of the map to make them even with the tile.


Brush a thin layer of Mod Podge on the top of your map. Once it has dried, reapply. I did three coats for mine. Here is a finished tile that I did last week.


Now you'll want to put something on the bottom of your coasters to keep them from scratching your tables. I  cut squares out of a roll of cork sheeting that I had handy. The little felt dots you put on the bottom of chairs would work as well.


TADA -- you are finished! You can also spray them with a can of acrylic sealer if desired for some extra protection. Stack all four and tie with a pretty ribbon. Now you have an inexpensive, personalized, handmade gift for giving!


No comments:

Post a Comment