Monday, October 17, 2011

Color me Yellow

My nightstand currently consists of an antique table but since painting it was out of the question (it's in great shape) I was on the lookout for another piece. Something a little taller as well. This gem was picked up at a yard sale for FREE! Yes, you read that right. (It was marked $5 but when I asked if they would go lower I was told, "Just take it and get it out of here please!" How could I refuse?) She was in pretty bad shape. She's a sewing table so her top opens on hinges. Her side opens as well. The sewing machine is missing, which is fine. Her top was also split right in two (which is why I asked the lady to go lower than $5). Here is a picture of her in her sad before state.



The white in the second picture is actually glue where I glued the top back together. Poor girl. I busted out the sander and got to work. Lots of sanding and some priming later...



I realize now that I should have wood puttied the holes in front before I primered, but at the time I still didn't know whether I was going to go with the original hardware placement or with only one hole in the middle. I just love her curvy legs!

I painted her a bright yellow to go with my color scheme and then waxed her with a dark brown wax to tone her down a touch and bring out some of her features. I opted for one knob in the middle so ended up having to drill a hole for that (you can see in the before picture that there was a piece of hardware there, but it was just tacked on with a slim tack). And here is the final product!


Isn't she pretty?

Sharing on
Savvy Homemade Monday
Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Primitive and Proper's Piece of Work Wednesday
Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove

8 comments:

  1. Hi - just found your blog via The Apprentice Expert. This bedside is just gorgeous! I love the colour, and with the black it looks fantastic!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Looks good next to your bedlinens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a sweet little table! love the fun color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! Love the curvy legs! I also just painted a nightstand yellow! It's such a happy colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job. I ♥ the Yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great color - nice to see something painted a color other than black or white!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great transformation! And a great price! Gotta love that! Thank you for sharing this with us at last week's TTF party. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete